Taking up nurse assistant class will open up opportunities for working in a health care field without the need to spend huge amounts of money for education and training. Whether you decide to enroll in a school near where you live or through a distance learning program and online course, the students of nurse assistant classes will usually be required to master the class objectives, lessons and skills being taught.
CNA Training Objectives
- Every student must be able to take vital signs and measurements
- Gain enough knowledge regarding patient care
- Obtain mastery of each subject being taught
- Get acquainted with ethical and legal issues
In typical certified nursing assistant classes, you will be provided with the right amount of knowledge that is needed for you to become fully equipped as a certified nursing assistant. In most cases, your nurse assistant classes will be divided into several chapters in which you will also be given some assessment tests at the end of the chapter. The following is a list of the most common lessons that will be included in your certified nursing assistant training. Please note that the sequencing of subjects being taught as well as the length of time that will be given for each topic may vary depending in the school or institution where you are enrolled.
CNA Training Lessons
- The basics of care giving
- Lessons on taking vital signs and accurate measurements
- Identification of major organs in the body as well as their functions
- Identify the different symptoms that nurse assistants will usually encounter
- Gain understanding on different patient needs
- Different methods for patient safety and mobility
- Diet, nutrition and exercise for patients
- Procedures to be taken during emergencies and injuries
- Taking care of patients with acute illnesses
- Daily activities of each patient
- Understanding legal issues, ethics and abuses
- Restorative care
- End-of-life care
Once you finish your certified nursing assistant class, you will then be required to obtain a certification in order to qualify for any nursing assistant jobs. Always remember that a nurse assistant plays a very important role in the life of each patient. Although during the course of your nurse assistant classes you will be taught how to properly take care of your patients, a nurse assistant must have the innate qualities of a loving, thoughtful, compassionate and supportive certified nurse assistant.
Free Nursing Assistant Training
If you decide on taking up your nurse assistant classes in a health care facility claiming to offer classes for free, be sure not to miss reading the fine print. Some institutions offering free CNA training classes will require you to work for them or provide return service for a considerable period of time after you obtain certification from a State administered Test. This requirement is usually mandatory and not optional. Therefore, prepare to undergo criminal and background check as well as a drug test before getting into any certified nursing assistant job.
Even if you find the nursing assistant classes a bit expensive rest assured that once you have earned your certification a lot of opportunities for career growth will be yours to grab. The need for nurse assistants is constantly increasing which means that you will not be at risk of being unemployed after completing your nurse assistant class and certification.